David Brownlow is a British entrepreneur, philanthropist and member of The House of Lords.
After David graduated from Newcastle Polytechnic, having read Economics, he spent two years as a Policeman with Thames Valley Police based in Slough. He then became a recruitment consultant and eight years later, in 1996, co-founded Huntswood. Initially a recruitment consultancy, Huntswood is now a specialist resourcing and consultancy firm focussed on Governance, Risk and Compliance.
Still owning Huntswood, in 2013 David co-founded his second business, Havisham. This business is a trading and investment group with interests in Travel, House Building, Fashion, Commercial and Residential property letting, Pubs and Restaurants, a Technology and Education Platform, three Financial Services apps for consumers and Documentary Film Making. The company trades across The United Kingdom, Toronto, Singapore, Sydney and Shanghai.
In an interview with The Sunday Times David said his business philosophy and success is based on:
- Providing strong leadership and consistent messages.
- Making a business flexible and nimble to meet the demands of clients.
- Ensuring an unrivalled track record of delivery to clients.
- Remembering that as well as clients, delivery and profit, business is about people, their careers and families. This means that making work fun for everyone engaged in the business is important.
- Being able to make hard decisions.
David takes pride in the work of his charitable giving; especially his own ‘David Brownlow Charitable Foundation’. All of which concentrates on helping individuals and communities where there is an element of disadvantage.